Brad “Big Country” Eldred had a big game tonight against the Yomiuri Giants at Mazda Stadium. He went 4-for-4 with a double, two homers, and three RBI.
- 2nd inning: led off the inning with a double to right-center
- 4th inning: blasted a two-out solo home run
- 6th inning: led off the inning with a single to left
- 8th inning: drilled a two-run home run to left
…And Kris Johnson notched his second straight shutout, both at Mazda Stadium.
- May 17 against Yakult: 9.0 IP, 114 NP, 32 BF, 5 H, 5 SO, 1 BB
- May 24 against Yomiuri: 9.0 IP, 128 NP, 33 BF, 4 H, 10 SO, 2 BB
Johnson has won his last four starts at Mazda Stadium and has allowed just four runs (three earned) in those games (33.1 innings).
- Johnson is the first Carp pitcher to record back-to-back shutouts since Makoto Kito in 1999 on May 26 (Yomiuri) and June 2 (Yakult). He is also the first foreign Carp pitcher to accomplish the feat. Source: Nikkan Sports 5/25/2016, Sponichi 5/25/2016
- Johnson recorded ten or more strikeouts in a game for the second time in his career, first since August 7, 2015 (thirteen against Yomiuri). He is the first Carp pitcher to record a shutout and ten or more strikeouts since Kenta Maeda (August 22, twelve against Hanshin) and Daichi Osera (September 6, ten against Yokohama) in 2014 and the first foreign Carp pitcher since Colby Lewis (September 27, eleven against Yakult) in 2008. Source: Sanspo 5/25/2016