Shohei Otani struck out ten in a complete game victory against the Yomiuri Giants on June 5. He also batted fifth and went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- This was Otani’s ninth complete game victory, first in a game where he also batted for himself
- Since 1950, Otani is the eighth pitcher to start a game and bat between three and five in the order.
- Of the eight pitchers that started and batted between three and five, only two recorded wins: Otani and Fumio Fujimura on October 7, 1951. And of the two, only Otani recorded a hit.
- Of the eight pitchers that started and batted between three and five, Otani became the first pitcher to record ten or more strikeouts. The previous high of four was set by Junzo Sekine on May 8, 1952 and Otani on June 18, 2013.
- Otani moved passed Yukihiro Nishizaki (nineteen) into sole possession of second place on the franchise’s all-time list for double-digit strikeout games with twenty. Yu Darvish is in first with fifty-two.
Source: Sponichi 6/6/2016, Sanspo 6/6/2016