A few notes about Kuroda:
- He almost returned to Hiroshima after the 2011 season, but he ended up signing with the New York Yankees at the start of the new year.
- It may have been in jest, but he asked for a one month contract when he first decided to return to Hiroshima. He wanted to quit right away if he caused problems for the team.
- He lost both parents to cancer — his mother in 2002 and his father in 2007.
- His mother was gym teacher. His father (Kazuhiro) played baseball professionally.
- His mother was very strict. When he was in high school, he would some times visit his teammate’s house for a shower or some food. His mother would contact his teammate’s mother and ask that they return him to the team dormitory. His mother also asked his high school coach to add more running to his menu.
- He has stayed with SSK since turning pro. He had other offers, but he turned them down.
Source: Daily Sports 7/24/2016, Sports Hochi 7/24/2016, Nikkan Sports 7/24/2016