Ryukoku High School decided to withdraw from the Saga summer tournament semifinals after they discovered, after a fire, that a number of players had been smoking since June. The Saga High School Baseball Federation accepted the school decision to pull out of the tournament.
A room belonging to the school’s baseball team caught fire before the Saga summer quarterfinals on July 21. The fire department discovered about twenty cigarette butts in the room.
Ryukoku High School conducted an investigation and learned that five third-year students, including three that made the tournament roster, started smoking regularly in June. On July 21, four players smoked in the room and two played in the quarterfinals games later that day. The school informed players and parents on July 22 that they were withdrawing from the tournament.
The Saga police found cigarette butts inside a mosquito repellent incense canister. Police do not think the butts were the cause of the fire, but rather the incense. About fifteen square meters of the room, including the floor and walls, caught fire. The Saga fire department estimates that the fire started around 11:23am and was put out at about 11:39am. The quarterfinals game started at 1:30pm.