Samurai Japan notes from March 17:
- The team left for Arizona on a chartered flight on March 16, from Haneda Airport to Phoenix International Airport. The plane had the usual three sections (first, business, and economy). Seats were assigned based on position: coaches, players, and staff.
- They are staying at a hotel in Phoenix.
- Hidemasa Mizuhara, a chef from Sanuki No Sato in California, will prepare food (buffet style) for the team while they are in the United States. He prepared food for the Nippon Ham Fighters during their spring camp in Arizona the last two years.
- Tatsunori Hara and Koji Yamamoto will be in Los Angeles for the WBC. They were asked to attend the games by NPB commissioner Katsuhiko Kumazaki.
- They are scheduled to play two practice games: March 18 against the Cubs and March 19 against the Dodgers. Shintaro Fujinami and Shota Takeda could get the starts.
- Kodai Senga and Tomoyuki Sugano are the top candidates for starts during the WBC.
- Toshiya Okada missed the WBC Cuba game on March 14 because he was not feeling well.
Source: Daily Sports 3/17/2017, Daily Sports 3/17/2017, Sports Hochi 3/17/2017, Sponichi 3/17/2017, Sponichi 3/17/2017, Sponichi 3/17/2017, Nikkan Sports 3/17/2017, Sanspo 3/14/2017