Waseda Jitsugyo announced today that Kotaro Kiyomiya is scheduled to hold a press conference tomorrow. He is expected to make an announcement about his plans.
Source: ZakZak 9/21/2017
[UPDATE 9/22 @ 6:37pm and 9/23 @ 1:32am]
Kiyomiya held a press conference in Kokubunji, Tokyo earlier today and announced that he plans to submit a draft eligibility form.
- He made his decision after he returned from Canada.
- There was no one deciding factor, but it was always a dream to play professionally and he wanted to play at a higher level.
- He made the decision on his own, without help from anyone in particular.
- His manager looked happy when he told him his decision.
- His parents will support his decision.
- He is okay about joining any of the twelve NPB teams. He will go anywhere that will help him grow.
- He and his father are Hanshin Tigers fans.
- His ideal professional baseball player is Sadaharu Oh. It is also his dream to become a home run king.
- Softbank, Rakuten, Nippon Ham, Lotte, Yokohama, Yomiuri, Chunichi, and Yakult might all be interested in him.
- Tigers’ President Keiichiro Yotsufuji told reporters today they plan to use their first round pick on him.
- Every NPB team other than Orix might be interested him.
- His dream is still to play in the Majors. It is his final goal.
- He enrolled at to Waseda Jitsugyo because he was originally planning to go to Waseda University. He wanted to go to Waseda University because he wanted to play some rugby there. But after he got into high school, things changed. He never really considered going straight to the Majors.
- He is still very disappointed about not winning a Koshien tournament.
- The big changing point in his life may have been when he won a world championship little league title. That may have been the reason why he picked baseball over rugby.
- He has not really thought about how he wants to go to the Majors (as in posting system or free agency). A lot will depend on what kind of player he becomes.
- If he went to college, economics may have been his major.
- He is not thinking about getting a degree through online or correspondence courses.
- NHK and Fuji TV displayed the news of his decision as flash updates. TV Asahi showed bits of the press conference during an information program. Incidentally, I heard about it from a co-worker during a meeting (their mobile phone dropped an alert).
- The press conference was held a Waseda Jitsugyo’s Tetsuya Komuro’s Memorial Hall. There were about 130 members of the media from fifty companies and twelve TV cameras. Some members of the media arrived at the hall ninety minutes early.
Source: Tokyo Sports 9/22/2017, ZakZak 9/22/2017, ZakZak 9/22/2017, Nikkan Sports 9/22/2017, Nikkan Sports 9//22/2017, Nikkan Sports 9/22/2017, Nikkan Sports 9/22/2017, Spors Hochi 9/22/2017, Daily Sports 9/22/2017, Daily Sports 9/22/2017, Daily Sports 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sponichi 9/22/2017, Sanspo 9/22/2017
[UPDATE 9/23 @ 1:15pm and 9/24 @ 1:52am]
Some more notes:
- If the Hawks select Kiyomiya and they go to a lottery, Kimiyasu Kudo is thinking about asking Sadaharu Oh to draw the winning ticket. Source: Nikkan Sports 9/23/2017
- The Hawks generally do not post players. They are not expected to make an exception for Kiyomiya. Since they have a deep team, they have the luxury of giving him to to grow at Ni-gun before using him at Ichi-gun. Source: Tokyo Sports 9/23/2017
- The Carp like Kiyomiya, but they tend to go after players with connections to Hiroshima. Koryo’s Shosei Nakamura is a possibility. They also want a pitcher that can contribute right away. Source: Sponichi 9/23/2017, Nikkan Sports 9/23/2017, Sports Hochi 9/23/2017
- The Buffaloes will most likely go after pitching with their first pick. Source: Daily Sports 9/23/2017
- The Dragons like Kiyomiya and Nakamura. Source: Daily Sports 9/23/2017
- The Tigers appear to be open to posting Kiyomiya. Source: Tokyo Sports 9/23/2017
- There are three main reasons why Kiyomiya decided to enter the draft: making it to the national team twice, making it to the Koshien, and setting a new high school home run record. Source: Sponichi 9/23/2017
- Kiyomiya might turn down a team he is not interested in. He will have a chance to talk to teams before the draft. If he rejected a team, he could try to enroll at a Japanese college, or head overseas and do some studying in the US. Source: Tokyo Sports 9/23/2017
[UPDATE 9/26 @ 7:40pm]
Notes from September 26
- The Yokohama Bay Stars GM Shigeru Takada is open to the posting system. Source: Sports Hochi 9/26/2017
- The Seibu Lions Senior Director Hisanobu Watanabe thinks the team might be a little low on pitching, but is still very high on Kiyomiya. Watanabe also thinks Kiyomiya is talented and young enough to move to another position, like third base or the outfield. Source: ZakZak 9/26/2017
- The Hanshin Tigers held a scout meeting on September 25 and once again confirmed that Kiyomiya is their top pick. Source: Sponichi 9/26/2017, Nikkan Sports 9/26/2017
[UPDATE 9/27 @ 10:12pm]
Notes from September 27
- The Orix Buffaloes are also apparently considering Kiyomiya for their first pick. They are not too concerned about their jam at first base. Source: Tokyo Sports 9/27/2017
[UPDATE 9/29 @ 2:40am]
Notes from September 28:
- Scouts from the Softbank Hawks, Nippon Ham Fighters, Yakult Swallows, Seibu Lions, and Yomiuri Giants visited Waseda Jitsugyo on September 28 to submit their forms of interest. From about noon until past 3:00pm, scouts individually met with a school official in thirty minute increments. They submitted their forms of interest, as well as temiage (small gifts), which included items like yokan and chocolates. Source: Tokyo Sports 9/28/2017
- Kiyomiya could begin talking to teams some time after October 1. Source: Nikkan Sports 9/28/2017
- The Seibu Lions are preparing a presentation. Source: Sponichi 9/28/2017, Sanspo 9/28/2017
- The Chunichi Dragons could meet Kiyomiya some time next week. Source: Daily Sports 9/28/2017
[UPDATE 9/30 @ 1:32am]
Notes from September 29:
- The Hanshin Tigers also submitted a form of interest on September 28. Source: Sanspo 9/29/2017
[UPDATE 10/1 @ 2:22am]
Notes from September 30: