Forty-one-year-old Takahiro Arai held a press conference at Mazda Stadium earlier today to announce his plans to retire after the season. Points taken from his press conference:
- Arai told the Carp about wanting to retire in early August.
- The Carp asked him to reconsider and Arai spent the rest of August re-thinking his plans. Nothing changed.
- There was no one moment that made him consider retirement. He starting thinking about retirement around Inter-league play.
- When considering the timing, he thought about the current group of young players on the roster and what things would be like three and five years from now.
- Arai came to the Carp with nothing but a desire to help the team. He wanted to retire the moment he knew he could no longer help.
- He spoke to Hiroki Kuroda and Yoshiyuki Ishihara.
- His kids did not want him to retire.
- He does not consider himself to be a great player, just one that practices a lot and happened to be in the right place at the right time.
- Arai was okay with making an announcement after the season, but the Carp wanted him to say something sooner to give fans a chance to watch him play.
Source: Nikkan Sports 9/5/2018, Tokyo Sports 9/5/2018, Sports Hochi 9/5/2018, Sports Hochi 9/5/2018, Sponichi 9/5/2018, Sponichi 9/5/2018, Daily Sports 9/5/2018, Daily Sports 9/5/2018, Daily Sports 9/5/2018