Thirty-seven-year-old Toshiya Sugiuchi held a press conference at the Tokyo Dome Hotel on September 12 to announce his decision to retire at the end of the season.
- He was hoping to have a longer career. He decision to retire comes with regrets: could he have done more, would things have been different if he did not get hurt.
- He does not think he had an easy career. He suffered failures and made mistakes. He also went through periods where he was afraid to throw the ball, had difficulty sleeping, and just wanted to run away. But all that went away when he stepped on the mound and felt the support from fans, teammates, and family.
- After spending time with younger players the last few years, he began to feel that he was no longer an active player and that maybe his time had come.
- He remembers two games: a shutout he tossed against Yu Darvish on September 25, 2010 and a no-hitter he threw against Masahiro Tanaka on May 30, 2012.
- He had right hip surgery in 2015 and was, more recently, struggling with left shoulder pain.
- Tetsuya Utsumi made a surprise appearance after he was finished and presented him with flowers.
Source: Yomiuri 9/12/2018, Sanspo 9/12/2018, Sanspo 9/12/2018, Sponichi 9/12/2018, Sponichi 9/12/2018, Nikkan Sports 9/12/2018, Nikkan Sports 9/12/2018, ZakZak 9/12/2018, Daily Sports 9/12/2018, Daily Sports 9/12/2018