The Seibu Lions took the Pacific League pennant while trailing the Nippon Ham Fighters at Sapporo Dome, 4-1 in the eighth inning. The Lions managed to clinch when the Chiba Lotte Marines beat the Softbank Hawks at YafuOku Dome 9-1.
The Lions recorded their twenty-second pennant, first since 2008. They became just the
fourth fifth team from either league to win a pennant while in first place the entire season. They joined 1962 Toei as the only Pacific League teams to accomplish the feat.
Source: Daily Sports 9/30/2018, Daily Sports 9/30/2018, Sponichi 9/30/2018, Nikkan Sports 9/30/2018, Nikkan Sports 9/30/2018
[UPDATE 10/1 @ 11:56pm]
- Celebrations began at around 11:55pm inside a tent set up outside the Lions’ hotel in Sapporo.
- The Lions went through 3,000 bottles of beer in about twenty-five minutes.
- The Lions joined the 2001 Kintetsu as the only teams to win a pennant while having the worst ERA in the league. Lions ERA breakdown during past pennants: first place eighteen times, second place twice, third place once.
- The other four teams to win a pennant while maintaining a spot in first the entire season: 1938 Spring Tigers under Shuichi Ishimoto, 1953 Yomiuri under Shigeru Mizuhara, 1962 Toei under Shigeru Mizuhara, 1997 Yakult under Katsuya Nomura.
- The Lions recorded their seventeenth pennant since they became the Lions in 1979. They have managed to win pennants during years ending in eights since they became the Lions: 1988, 1998, 2008, and 2018.
Source: Tokyo Sports 10/1/2018, Tokyo Sports 10/1/2018, Sanspo 10/1/2018, Nikkan Sports 10/1/2018, Nikkan Sports 10/1/2018, Sponichi 10/1/2018