Additional details for the Asia Professional Baseball Championship 2017 were released today.
Coaching staff for the Samurai Japan Top Team
- Head Coach – Makoto Kaneko (Nippon Ham Batting Coach)
- Pitching Coach – Yoshinori Tateyama
- Infield/Base Coach – Hirokazu Ibata (Yomiuri Infield/Base Coach)
- Outfield/Base Coach – Masaji Shimizu
- Battery Coach – Yoshinori Murata (Yomiuri Battery Coach)
- Batting Coach – TBA
Source: Samurai Japan 9/11/2017
1st BFA Women’s Baseball Asian Cup Schedule And Results
Six teams. Single round robin. Win = three points, Loss = no points, Tie = one point.
News and notes from August 31.
- The missing luggage and equipment arrived before practices on August 30. [Nikkan Sports 8/31/2017, ZakZak 8/31/2017]
- Morning workouts on August 30 took place at Baseball Central Stadium included infield drills, infield fielding practice, outfield fielding practice, as well as some situation hitting drills. [Tokyo Sports 8/31/2017]
- Afternoon workouts on August 30 took place at a second field at Port Arthur Stadium.
- During batting practice [Daily Sports 8/31/2017, Sanspo 8/31/2017]:
- Hisanori Yasuda took twenty-two swings and hit eleven over the fence
- Kotaro Kiyomiya took thirty-three swings and hit twenty-one over the fence
- Shosei Nakamura took forty-two swings and hit twelve over the fence
- The practice field was a bit smaller than usual. Players and staff waited for balls in the parking log beyond the outfield fence.
News and notes from August 30.
- Missing bats did not arrive in time for practices on August 29. Also missing: catcher gear and baseballs. Practices started thirty minutes later than initially planned. Workouts lasted about two hours and included catch, base running exercises, and fielding hand-throw grounders. Missing equipment and luggage is scheduled to arrive on August 30 at 2pm (local time). [Tokyo Sports 8/30/2017, Daily Sports 8/30/2017, Sponichi 8/30/2017]
- The fire alarm in Shu Masuda and Kazuya Maruyama’s hotel room went off in the middle of the night. [Tokyo Sports 8/30/2017]
- Three through five in the order could be: Shosei Nakamura, Kotaro Kiyomiya, and Hisanori Yasuda (in that order). [Daily Sports 8/30/2017]
28th WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup Schedule And Results
Twelve teams. First round, two groups of six teams. Super Round, top three teams from each group in first round. Consolation Round, bottom three teams from each group in first round. Finals, first and second place teams from Super Round for Gold and third and fourth place teams from Super Round for Bronze.
The First BFA Women’s Baseball Asian Cup is slated to take place at Sai Tso Wan Baseball Field in Hong Kong between September 2 and 7. Teams from Japan, Chinese Taipei, Korea, Hong Kong, India, and Pakistan will be participating in the tournament. Below is the roster for Japan.
News and notes from August 29:
- Shosei Nakamura could see some time at first base. This would allow Mamoru Koeda to give Yuto Koga the start at catcher without losing Nakamura’s bat. If he gets the start at first, Kotaro Kiyomiya could move to designated hitter and Hisanori Yasuda to third. [Sponichi 8/29/2017, Nikkan Sports 8/29/2017]
- The team arrived at Toronto Pearson International Aiport earlier today. They still had another domestic flight to Thunder Bay. [Tokyo Sports 8/29/2017]
- When the team arrived at Thunder Bay, about twenty of their bags were missing, including suitcases belonging to Kento Kawabata, Fumimaru Taura, and five staff. All of their bats were also missing. Their plane from Toronto to Thunder Bay was apparently too small. They were not the only team with missing bags: the team from Taiwan was also missing some bags. [Daily Sports 8/29/2017]
- The entire trip from Japan to Thunder Bay took close to twenty hours. [Nikkan Sports 8/29/2017]
News and notes from August 28:
- Tatsuya Shimizu could be used as a closer. [Sanspo 8/28/2017]
- Other possible pitcher roles [Sponichi 8/28/2017]:
- Starters: Kento Kawabata, Hikaru Yamashita, Soma Tokuyama, and Shunpei Isomura
- Relievers: Fumimaru Taura and Ginji Miura
- Kotaro Kiyomiya got the start at designated hitter during a practice game on August 27 and found it difficult because he spent too much time thinking in between at bats. He would prefer to defense to help him with his balance and rhythm. [Sanspo 8/28/2017, Tokyo Sports 8/28/2017]
- The U-18 held a press conference at Haneda Aiport before leaving for Cananda. [Tokyo Sports 8/28/2017, Daily Sports 8/28/2017]
Samurai Japan released the roster that will be competing at the 28th BFA Asian Baseball Championship between October 2 and 8 in Taiwan.