Reply To: Pretty interesting…

I’m sure people will watch the games, I’m just not sure how popular it would be to the average yakyu fan living in Japan. They might enjoy watching MLB games, but I’m not sure how they would react if the NPB became the MLB and NPB games were a thing of the past.

There’s also an issue about the rosters. How would you fill them? If the teams are predominantly NPB players, wouldn’t the teams in the United States have an unfair advantage? But if you throw in too many non-Japanese players, then where do the Japanese players go? Some of them can be sent to the United States, but how many will want to go? For that matter, how many non-Japanese players will want to come to Japan? And of that group, how many might want to leave because they don’t want to be here?

Then there is the issue of cost. It is expensive going to games in Japan, but I don’t think it’s as expensive as the United States. What about stadiums? Not every team owns their stadium and not every stadium owner will want to sell. There’s not a whole lot of land in the major cities, so it won’t be easy building a new stadium. And I’m not entirely convinced Japanese people will want to fund stadiums for teams like people in the United States do.

There are a lot of issues that need to be ironed out before anything like this could actually happen.