NPB has until May 5 to request changes to the posting system

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gen 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gen
    Keymaster

According to a Sponichi report, the NPB has until May 5, 2017 to request changes to the posting system. The current system will carry over for another year if no requests are made. No specific concerns were raised about the posting system during the NPB’s last round of meetings on April 3. No additional meetings are currently planned prior to the May 5 deadline.

Source: Sponichi 4/4/2017

MoeyoCD
    Participant

I wonder if that means that Otani will remain with the Fighters for 2018.
    It seems like he would present the best leverage for a more NPB-friendly deal, I would think the NPB would at least try to get something new done in that case.

Gen
    Keymaster

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to Otani after the season, especially with the injury.

Two reasons why the Fighters might bring him back in 2018:

• his injury will most likely keep his salary next year down
    • the fans might want one last chance to see him play out a full season in the NPB

Still, if Otani wants to go, I’m sure the Fighters will allow it.

As for Otani being leverage for posting system negotiations… I’m not so sure if that will be the case because the MLB is apparently interested in laying down the foundation for a unified global posting system. So instead of having individual systems for various countries/league, there would be one system that works for all countries/leagues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)