Kazuya Fukuura reached the 2,000-hit milestone during today’s game against the Seibu Lions at ZOZO Marine Stadium. The hit was a double to right off Ryuya Ogawa in the bottom of the 8th inning.
Seiichi Uchikawa pushed his career hit total to 2,000 when he hit a single to center off Shota Takekuma in the eighth inning of a game against the Sebu Lions at MetLife Dome on May 9. Uchikawa is the fifty-first player in NPB history to reach the milestone.
Takashi Toritani started tonight’s game against the Yokohama Bay Stars with 1,999 career hits. His first at bat came in the bottom of the second inning against Shoichi Ino. With a runner on first and one out, he hit a 2-0 pitch for an RBI double to right and became the fiftieth player in NPB history to reach the 2,000-hit milestone.
Shinnosuke Abe recorded his 2,000th career hit during tonight’s game against the Hiroshima Carp at Mazda Stadium. Abe was 0-for-2 with a walk in his first three trips to the plate. With no one on, one out, and Takeru Imamura on the mound in the top of the ninth, Abe laced a 1-2 fork to right for his 2,000th career hit.
- He is the forty-ninth player in NPB history to reach the 2000-hit milestone.
- He reached the milestone in his seventeenth year.
- He joins Tetsuharu Kawakami (on May 31, 1965), Shigeo Nagashima (on May 25, 1971), Sadaharu Oh (on August 4, 1974), and Isao Shibata (on August 7, 1980) as the only Yomiuri “lifers” to reach the milestone.
- He is the first player to record his 2,000th hit at Mazda Stadium.
- He notched his 2,000th hit in his fourth plate appearance after recording his 1,999th hit on August 12.
- He recorded his 2,000th hit in his 2,056th game, eleventh slowest in NPB history, behind Sachio Kinugasa’s 2,106 games.
- At thirty-eight years and four months, he is the twenty-sixth oldest player to reach the milestone. Out of the fourteen players that reached the milestone out of college, he is the third youngest, behind Koji Yamamoto (thirty-seven years and six months) and Kenichi Yazawa (thirty-eight years and one month).
Source: Daily Sports 8/13/2017, Sponichi 8/13/2017, Sponichi 8/13/2017, Tokyo Sports 8/13/2017, Sponichi 8/14/2017, Sanspo 8/14/2017
Masahiro Araki recorded the 2,000th hit of his career during today’s game against the Rakuten Eagles at Nagoya Dome. The hit came in the fourth inning off Manabu Mima. Araki is the forty-eighth player in NPB history to reach the 2,000-hit milestone. Senichi Hoshino (manager when Araki first entered the organization) presented the thirty-nine-year-old with flowers.
Source: Nikkan Sports 6/3/2017, Daily Sports 6/3/2017, Sports Hochi 6/3/2017
Takahiro Arai became the forty-seventh player in NPB history to reach the 2,000 hit milestone on April 26. The defining moment came in the top of the third against the Yakult Swallows with Yoshihisa Naruse on the mound. Arai hit an 1-0 pitch for an RBI double to left.
Some interesting facts about the milestone:
- Arai is the seventh player to reach 2,000 hits at Jingu Stadium. The other six: Shigeo Nagashima, Isao Shibata, Kazuhiro Kiyohara, Shinya Miyamoto, Motonobu Tanishige, and Alex Ramirez.
- Arai is the fifth player in Carp history to reach 2,000 hits. The other four: Sachio Kinugasa, Koji Yamamoto, Kenjiro Nomura, Tomonori Maeda.
- Arai recorded his 2,000th hit in his 2,112nd game. Only seven other players required more games. Of the twenty-two players out of college or the Industrial League that reached the milestone, Arai required the most number of games (the previous record was Hiromasa Arai’s 2,027 games).
- At thirty-nine years and two months, Arai is the fifteenth oldest player to record 2,000 hits.
- Arai’s .277 batting average is thirty-fourth on the list.
- Arai was selected in the sixth round out of college. Only one other player was selected in the sixth or later round of the draft: Yutaka Fukumoto in the seventh round out of the Industrial League (no college). Arai is the first to be selected in the sixth round or later out of college. (Thirty players have reached 2,000 hits since the draft was introduced. Breakdown: seven from the first round, eight from the second round, seven from the third round, four from the fourth round, one from the sixth round, one from the seventh round, and two outside of the draft.)
- Arai and Hiroki Kokubo (Daiei, Yomiuri, Softbank) are the only players to reach the milestone after leaving and returning to their first team.
- Arai (1,530) joined Kiyohara (1,740), Tanishige (1,738), Norihiro Nakamura (1,629), and Koji Akiyama (1,607) as the only players to reach 2,000 hits with 1,500 or more strikeouts (at the time they reached the milestone).
- Arai (1,163) joined Nagashima (2,172), Nakamura (1,971), Michiyo Arito (1,774), and Kinugasa (1,638) as the only players to reach 2,000 hits while playing in at least 1,000 games as a third baseman.
- TV Ratings for the game (Chugoku Hoso) in Hiroshima was 26.6%. At the moment Arai recorded his 2,000th hit: 20.6%.
Source: Daily Sports 4/26/2016, Sponichi 4/26/2016, Sponichi 4/26/2016, Nikkan Sports 4/26/2016
Youtube videos of the hit: one, two (since these are not official, they can be taken down at any moment)