Thirty-six-year-old Ryota Wakiya held a press conference at Tokyo Dome on September 19 and announced his decision to retire after the season.
- He has a hard time summing up his thirteen-year career because so many things happened to him, but he feels he was able to have a good career because of all the support he got from people around him.
- He is grateful to all the teams he played for, even though he was not able to do as much for them as he wanted.
- He started thinking about retirement in August because there was not any talk about him making the active roster.
- He would like to get into coaching after retirement.
- Hisayoshi Chono asked him what he wanted to eat, he said he wanted to eat junk food.
- Yoshiyuki Kamei presented him with flowers at the end of the press conference.
Source: Yomiuri 9/19/2018, Sanspo 9/19/2018, Tokyo Sports 9/19/2018, Nikkan Sports 9/19/2018, Daily Sports 9/19/2018