Chris Martin and Yadir Drake were taken off the active roster on October 5. They are expected to return to the respective homes soon.
Martin is open to returning next year, but Nippon Ham will only be one of what might be many options. Drake will most likely not be offered a new contract by the Fighters for the 2018 season.
Source: Sponichi 10/5/2017
[UPDATE 11/10 @ 8:52pm]
The Nippon Ham Fighters announced today that Martin and Drake will not return next year.
Source: Nippon Ham 11/10/2017
[UPDATE 12/12 @ 11:27am]
Martin signed a two-year contract with the Texas Rangers.
Source: Daily Sports 12/12/20170 Comments
According to a reports by Sports Hochi, the Nippon Ham Fightesr have asked thirty-one-year-old Chris Martin to return next season. Martin has recorded twenty-two holds and one save in thirty-three games so far this year. He has helped bridge the gap to Hirotoshi Masui.
The Fighters may be close to finalizing a two-year deal with a fairly large hike in salary.
Source: Sports Hochi 9/5/20170 Comments
Chris Martin hurt his right side while pitching against the Chunichi Dragons on June 15. The incident took place in the eighth inning with one out and Dayan Viciedo up to bat. He will be examined at a hospital in Tokyo on June 16.
Source: Nikkan Sports 6/15/20170 Comments
Chris Martin was taken off the active roster on April 11 because of tightness in his right elbow. According to the team trainer, he started having problems with the elbow during the exhibition game season. No major abnormalities were discovered during an examination on April 10.
[UPDATE 5/6 @ 12:16am]
Martin pitched in a Ni-gun game against Seibu at Kamagay on May 5. He entered the game in the fourth and pitched a shutout inning in relief. He retired the side in order, struck out two, and topped out at 154km/h. He could return to the active roster on May 7 if he is feeling okay tomorrow (May 6).0 Comments
Chris Martin flew back to the United States today out of Narita Airport for personal reasons. He is slated to return on March 25.0 Comments
The Nippon Ham Fighters announced today that they signed thirty-year-old Chris Martin and thirty-three-year-old Luis Mendoza to contracts for the 2017 season. According to media reports, Mendoza agreed to a one-year deal worth an estimated 190 million yen plus incentives and Martin to a one-year deal worth an estimated 100 million yen plus incentives.0 Comments
Chris Martin sprained his left ankle in September and aggravated it during the Final Stage. The Nippon Ham Fighters announced that Martin returned to the United States on October 19. He is not expected to pitch during the Nippon Series and will instead focus on rehabbing/strengthening the ankle and preparing for next season.
The Fighter released the following statement from Martin:
After much thought and discussion, I decided to return home to rehab my ankle. I came to this decision because the injury was keeping me from performing at my best and I do not want to betray my teammates and fans. I want to strengthen my ankle so that I can do more for the Fighters next season. I pray for a good outcome for the team during the Nippon Series.
Chris Martin sprained his left ankle in September. He was unavailable on October 16 because he aggravated the ankle. Shohei Otani was his replacement.
Source: Sponichi 10/16/20160 Comments
Chris Martin (left ankle) resumed pitching practices on October 4 at Sapporo Dome. He threw about twenty pitches to a squatting catcher. He told reporters he felt good and was satisfied with his progress.
Source: Nikkan Sports 10/4/20160 Comments
Chris Martin (left ankle) began his rehab at Sapporo Dome on September 13. He worked out on the field for the first time on September 15. He told reporters his ankle was getting better and his goal was to make it back to the active roster in time for the Climax Series, if not sooner.
Source: Nikkan Sports 9/16/20160 Comments